Which type of air cooler is best? Which is better desert cooler or room cooler? Desert air cooler vs tower air cooler – which one to choose? These are some of common questions among people who want to buy an air cooler for office or home use.
While air conditioners are now a go-to option for most people when it comes to tackling the summer heat, air coolers are affordable alternatives. While they might not help you experience the chills of winter on a hot May afternoon like an air conditioner, they can surely keep you cool and comfortable at around 1/4th price of an AC. Moreover, air coolers are also known to be energy efficient and can help you save big on your electricity bills too.
But if you are planning to buy an air cooler in India, it is very important for you to first understand the different types of coolers available in India before you get down to the nitty-gritty. Air coolers can be divided into three different categories- Personal Air Cooler, Desert Air Cooler, and Tower Air Cooler. What are these different types of coolers and which one should you select? Continue reading to find out!
1. Personal Air Cooler
Also known as room air cooler, these are ideal for cooling small or mid-size rooms. These types of coolers generally have a capacity of 20-35 liters and are placed inside the room. So, if you’ll be using a 5-liter bucket for filling the water tank of the cooler, you’ll be required to re-fill the bucket 5-6 times. This is the single biggest drawback of these coolers.
But on the plus side, as the capacity is low, even the size of these coolers is generally very compact. You can easily move them between rooms. Personal air coolers mostly feature blowers which create high pressure in the coolers chamber for forcing the air out. As compared to other types of coolers, personal coolers are typically the most affordable.
Pros of Personal Air Cooler
- Ideal for small and mid-size rooms
- Easy to move between rooms
- Highly affordable
Cons of Personal Air Cooler
- Require more refills
- Not ideal for large rooms or when the temperature is very high
Best Personal Air Cooler in India
- Hexacool Technology : Specially Designed Cooling Media With Hexagonal Design, Delivering Maximum Cooling With Minimum Water...
- Product Dimensions (Lxbxh): 44.5 Cm X 34.0 Cm X 78.0 Cm
- Typhoon Blower Technology : Blower Based Technology For Quick And Efficent Cooling
- Ice Chamber : Ice Compartments To Store Ice Cubes For Improved Cooling Experience
- Capacity: 23 Litres; Ideal For Room Size Of Upto 150 Sq Ft. Suitable For All Climates And Costal Regions
2. Desert Air Cooler
The desert air coolers are recommended for medium and large-sized rooms. This type of cooler generally comes in capacities ranging from 30-60 liters. As these are considerably bigger than personal coolers, they are generally fitted outside the window and not placed in rooms. As compared to personal coolers, desert coolers offer better cooling but also require more water, space, and electricity.
These coolers collect the air from the outside and the large fans in them function as exhaust to keep the area cool. As they have large water tanks, you only need to fill the tank twice or thrice to tackle the heat throughout the day. On the downside, they are more expensive than personal coolers.
Pros of Desert Air Cooler
- Ideal for mid and large-size rooms
- Higher tank capacity means lower number of refills in a day
- Better cooling than personal coolers
Cons of Desert Air Cooler
- Consumes more power and water as compared to personal coolers
- Not the most affordable option
Best Desert Air Cooler in India
- Capacity: 75 Litres; Ideal for room size of upto 550 Sq Ft.
- Product dimensions (LxBxH): 61.0 cm x 40.5 cm x 120.0 cm
- For any product related issues, please contact Crompton Customer care at 1800 419 0505 (9:00 AM to 7:00 PM Monday to...
- Always allow for CROSS-VENTILATION in your area / room, else cooler wont work effectively
- Effective Honeycomb Cooling Pads, Air Speed control
3. Tower Air Coolers
The tower air coolers are a new breed of air coolers in the Indian markets. While coolers are more affordable, they are not really very impressive when it comes to the aesthetics. While modern coolers now come with many innovative features, they are mostly sporting a similar design for several years. The tower air coolers have been created to fix this problem.
While they are not the most popular option, they sure can spruce up the looks of any room just like the split air conditioners. These coolers generally have capacities ranging from 15-liters to 25-liters and are mostly used in small rooms. The price of tower coolers varies significantly and you can find models that cost less than personal coolers and ones that are more expensive than a basic desert cooler.
Pros of Tower Air Cooler
- Aesthetically pleasing
- Highly space-efficient
- Most models come with innovative features
Cons of Tower Air Cooler
- Can be very expensive but cheaper models are available too
- Cooling is not as powerful as desert coolers
Best Tower Air Cooler in India
- Capacity: 12 litres; Coverage Area: Ideal for room size up to 28 cubic meters (Keep door/window open for cross ventilation &...
- Warranty: 1 year on manufacturing defects. For any product-related queries, please contact_us on: [079-30130111 /...
- Cooling Media: Highly-effective honeycomb cooling pads and cool flow dispenser ensures superior cooling
- Technology: Powered by i-pure technology with multistage air purification filters such as allergy filter, bacteria filter,...
- Powerful Pump: The exclusive dura-pump of Diet 12T ensures the longevity of the pump
Which Type of Air Cooler is Best for You?
All the different types of air coolers in India have their advantages and drawbacks. So, to select the right cooler, one should clearly understand their requirements. For instance, if you have a small room and are looking for an affordable cooler, a personal air cooler can be the right choice. Similarly, for efficient cooling of larger rooms, a desert cooler is recommended. Tower coolers are excellent too, especially if you are looking for an appliance that can match with the decor of your room. Don’t forget to check our list of top 10 best air coolers.
So, the best cooler for every buyer can be different based on their requirements and budget. Try to know what you expect from your cooler and fix a budget before browsing through the different types of coolers and you are sure to make a wise decision.
Last update on 2020-04-10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API